Thursday, November 17, 2011

Charity Begins at Home...

Hi All! (See, I am trying to post more regularly.)



For the past few years I have been participating in 'Operation Christmas Child' through our local primary school chaplain. (Check it out here if you've not heard of it before!) It's a great reminder to the kids during the festive season that not everyone is as fortunate as they are, and a chance to give a little something to a child who has very little.

This year though, I'll be adding a new charity to my Christmas list. 

A link sent by a friend of a friend introduced me to an amazing woman - Despina - who has started a home-grown organization that collects donated goods and puts together backpacks for kids who are taken suddenly into foster care. Often kids are taken from their homes by police or DOCS with only the clothes they are wearing and Backpacks 4 Aussie Kids wants to provide backpacks to these children so they have some essential and personal items that will travel with them from home to home, and just belongs to them.

While donations are not yet tax deductable (they are working on it),  I promise it will give you a feeling of well-being...and I think we could all use a bit of that.

P.S. “Where there is charity and wisdom, there is neither fear nor ignorance.” 
St Francis of Assisi

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails